Saturday, August 18, 2012

Week of safaris and wildlife, coupled with a bit of data collection:



The last week has been a world wind in South Africa! I will start with Wednesday, August 8th. This was the day that Bradley, one of the guys working with our program, set up a time for me to go to a local public high school to sample the 11th and 12th graders for my study. Many of these students are well over the age of 18 because they were held back many times throughout their education.  We started our day at 10am at Cowen High School, a primarily black public school. First, we went into an 11th grade classroom; the teacher did not show up today and the students were all there, alone, working on their school.  I was amazed that they were not climbing from the rafters!  WOW! This wouldn’t happen in the states! Bradley decided that we would read the survey to them just in case they had questions, we could address them as a group. I started off reading and he quickly stopped me because of the reaction from the students.  My nasal accent was a bit much for them and made my English sound not so English to  them! Ha! So he took over and read for me.  After done, we moved to a 12th grade class room and repeated this routine. I ended with 60 surveys! Awesome!


Thursday, August 9th, we traveled as a group to two safaris! Oh my! So much fun! First we went to Addo Elephant Park (see www.sanparks.org). This was a self guided drive through the National Park. We stopped halfway and had lunch, overlooking all the wildlife.  We saw so many elephants, lions, zebra, kudu, and other African antelope. Note the wind in all the photos!

After the Addo adventure, we headed over to Schotia Safaris Tours (see www.schotia.com). OMG! I loved SCHOTIA! I told Aaron that I want to change our wedding destination from Mexico to South Africa, just so that we could get married on this park reserve.  Probably won’t happen, but I will explain why it was so amazing.  First, we met our driver Scott, whom immediately was friendly and excited to take us into the forest to see the wild. After about five minutes into the tour, he stops the car and tells us to get out.  What?!? We all follow him, trusting that all is well; he asks us to tell him what we see around us; well it was hard because of all the trees, some people said trees, others said rocks, dirt, flowers, etc. Scott told us that we forgot to mention the lions right over there, as he points to the lions about 500 meters from us!!!!!! Then instructs us not to react; wow, there stood 5 female lions grazing on a zebra that they captured and killed the day before. They were so consumed with their food, that they didn’t even notice us. We got back into the land cruiser and drove closer.  I had one rule on this trip, and it was not to get eaten by a lion! I was staying in the car! So we drove up and spent a few minutes learning about lions and how they capture their prey (see photos). 



It was such an unbelievable start to this trip! This really set the stage for what was to come.  
After about an hour through the forest, Scott points to me and says, “Hey Stellina, I want you to be our tracker. Go ahead and hop out of the land cruiser!” I said, Scott, I really don’t want to get eaten by a lion! He reassured all of us that lions were not in this area (we had just gone through an electric gated area) because there were rhino and other endangered animals that they wanted keep away from the lions. I felt better and got out of the vehicle. He had me sit on the roof of the truck and be the “wildlife spotter” aka “tracker.” I sat on the roof and looked ahead for animals, only finding carcass of past animals that remained after suffering as prey to another. Scott stopped the car and said it was time for a snack. He trots over to a termite pile like a kid in a candy store, rips off a mound of dirt and starts placing termites in his mouth. OMG! Then he tells us to do it; without hesitation, many people just started eating the mites! 

Of course, I was dumbfounded as to why this was so desirable.  Since Scott liked to pick on me, he forced me to eat a termite! Yikes! At least I can say I did it! We continued on into the forest spotting tons of wildlife, including rhinos, monkeys, African antelope, zebras, ostrich, and giraffes. 
 After the sun began to set, we headed to an old stable for tea and roosterbread (amazing SA bread!). Some of us climbed a tree, then headed off to see the hippos and crocodiles at nightfall and then to dinner.  To our surprise, we hear this loud roar over the sound of our engine. It was loud enough to startle Scott, so he gets on his 2 way radio to another nearby tour guide. They inform him that a male lion is on the prowl and isn’t too far from us! Scott gets excited because this doesn’t always happen with tours. So we head over to where the lion is supposed to be and WOWOWOWOW! Not more than 10 meters from us roams this huge, male lion, roaring to his family (the females we saw earlier). We travel alongside the lion for a few kilometers; he often glared over at us, it this was perfect timing for my camera to die. Wonderful! I guess I took too many pictures of zebra and didn’t save my battery for the unexpected.  Luckily, I was able to obtain a few good pictures from other students. After we had enough of the lion (which was about an hour), we headed to dinner! It was freezing cold, each of us wrapped in a wool blanket, poncho, and tons of layers. Our dinner was amazing and we even had Mava Pudding for dessert! Please Google this South African dessert! It is to die for! After dinner, we headed back to our land cruisers, and Scott shared his knowledge of the stars and the galaxy; we saw the Milky Way and a ton of star formations. It was beautiful; the sky is so clear in South Africa, not damaged with pollution like we have here in the states. After the stars, we headed back to the front where we saw the lions at the beginning; the male joined back up with his ladies, grazing on the zebra. It was a great day at Schotia! I was one with nature, literally, and had an amazing time! I told Aaron we must return and stay on the reserve in the bungalows; they looked absolutely stunning on the hillside, overlooking the wildlife. 








GrassRoots: On Friday, I went to GrassRoots to collect data.  GrassRoots is an American organization that uses Soccer to educate school children about HIV and AIDS.  This is a longitudinal, three year study, that looks at how their program contributes to the rise or fall of HIV contraction among the youth.  The folks at GrassRoots were very kind and helpful with my research, as fellow researchers often help one another out, since data collection can be challenging at time. I was grateful for their support!
On Saturday, a few of us headed out to a place in Port Elizabeth called SeaView; this is a wildlife reserve that allows you to come in and play with the lions, tigers, leopards, hyenas, etc.  I’m no fool; I don’t play with dangerous animals, so I opted to hang outside their cages, watching all the others risk their lives. I took photos through the fences and still had an amazing time.  I called Aaron while I was there, asking him if I was being silly for not going into the cages, and he said something along the lines of, no and he really wanted me to come home, so I knew I made a rational decision! (see photos)
On Sunday, another group of us took a bus about 3 hours to a city known as Titsikamma; here you can bungee jump off the tallest bungee site in the world; zipline through the forest, spotting wildlife along the way; or ride/handout with the elephants.  I opted for the elephants (see www.elephantsanctuary.co.za)! It was amazing. Since it was so windy, no surprise there, we weren’t able to ride the elephants, but we were able to walk hand in trunk with them. It was amazing! (see photos)


No comments:

Post a Comment